Wednesday

Hi Families!

I'm on a blog roll this week - we've been doing quite a few things that I want to share!

Today, we added to our "KWL" chart about magnets, with information we have learned so far about magnets.

Students then went to music and we continued with gymnastics during PE time. Students then participated in a math lesson. They either worked with Miss Wilks to continue learning about fact families, or they worked with me to learn about the addition strategy of "Making 10."

Fact Family:

As for the "Making 10" strategy - we started by talking about all the different numbers we can use to make 10 (ie. 5+5, 6+4, 7+3...) and then we discussed what happens when we add 10 to a number (10+4=14, 10+6=16, etc.) We used this knowledge to help with this strategy! I have to admit, it is definitely a bit confusing. I wouldn't expect students to write all of this down to solve 1 math question - we talked about this being ONE strategy that we COULD use and how we are likely already doing something similar in our heads so this is how we can explain it to other people. Here is a video that can help explain a little more (I have to say, the comment section made me laugh as it seems a lot of people did not understand their 7 year olds homework 😂) I also gave students a real-life problem I faced when playing a card game, and they were able to figure out how to use "make 10" to do some mental math.

Bonus homework: 
If you are adding 2+5+8 - how can you use the making 10 strategy to solve it quickly?



In the afternoon we talked about kindness. Students noticed something new in our classroom this morning so we talked about what this means...


We watched this video about spreading kindness and read the story, What Does it Mean to be Kind? I introduced a sheet that students can fill out to say thank you to someone for being kind and making them smile. I will also be filling out kindness hearts when I see students being kind to help encourage and celebrate kindness in the classroom. We talked a lot about passing it forward and the ripple effect that being kind can have. We also watched this Kid President Video called 20 Things We Should Say More Often. We watched it once just for viewing, and the second time we discussed if the ideas were just "good manners" or if they were going a little above and beyond and were kind acts. The kids thought this video was HILARIOUS. I also gave the students a few minutes to plan out their outfits for Twin Day on Friday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 5-8

December 11-15

First Days