February 16-19

 Hello families, 

This week we focused on words from the "-ap" family. We had fun reading a poem called "Groovin'" that used lots of "-ap" words. 

In math, we started talking about subtraction. We read the story "The Action of Subtraction" and practiced answering some subtraction questions using our beaded number lines. Students also enjoyed playing subtraction Bingo. 

On Thursday we had a lot of fun celebrating the 100th day of school. Our new student teacher, Mrs. Rooney, and I dressed up like we were 100 years old! We also learned about estimation and students had to estimate a container with rice, beans and toilet paper. Students enjoyed making smart guesses and were surprised to learn that every container had 100 items in it. 


In P.E. we did a 100th day workout, so students did 10 different exercises 10 times each. We also did some art using the digits in 100 and students used their creativity and imagination to turn the numbers into a picture. At the end of the day we also did a 100 seconds challenge. Students had to see how many times they could hop on 1 foot, write their name, draw circles, what number they could write up to, and how many squats they could do. 

On Friday, we continued with some 100th day activities. We found that some students had a negative view of older people, so we discussed how it is important to respect all people and that people who have lived that long have had a lot of experiences and have a lot of knowledge. We watched this interview where a little girl interviews a woman who is 101 years old. Students also continued working on their art, and I showed them a picture of me with an aging filter. We had a good laugh and we shared photos of students with the same filter. It was a lot of fun! Students then used these photos to write about what they would know or what they would like to do when they are 100 years old. I will share these pictures on Google Classroom for you to see! 


I forgot to take pictures of the students' writing and art that I wanted to share before I left the school today, so I will share some photos on Monday! 

A message from Mrs. Rooney! 

Hi everyone,
My name is Mrs. Rooney and I feel so lucky to be in Ms. Midgley's class for my final practicum. I wanted to give you a little insight to who I am since I will be with your children for 10 weeks. I have two daughters (8 & 10), and I ran my own day home for 8 years previous to returning back to school.  I love the outdoors and enjoy skiing, hiking and traveling with my family.
I wanted to thank you all for sharing your children with me. They are so wonderful, kind and have welcomed me into their class! I look forward to spending the next 9 weeks learning from them.

Upcoming Dates:

  • Wednesday, February 24th - Pink Shirt Day (we haven't talked about this yet!)
  • Thursday, March 11th (PM) and Friday, March 12th (AM) - Virtual Student-Led Conferences - more information to come (No school on the Friday)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 5-8

December 11-15

First Days