Extra Blog Post - Hermit Crab Update

Hello families, 

I had to post an extra blog this week as we had an exciting discovery this morning! I noticed that our hermit crabs have been hiding out in their "coco hut" quite a lot. This morning I found the two larger hermit crabs outside of the hut, and what I believed to be a dead hermit crab torn apart inside the hut. I do not do well with these things, so Ms. Kassam came to my rescue and helped me dispose of the body. We checked all of the extra shells to make sure it didn't just find a new home - but did not see any signs of the third hermit crab. 

I had a talk with the students about how the hermit crab had died and during work period we discovered that the little hermit crab had actually moved to a new shell (even though both Ms. Kassam and I did not see it.) So, I quickly went to fish the "dead body" out of the garbage - this is the crab's exoskeleton. In order to grow, they shed their exoskeleton and move into a larger shell. We were all very excited to learn that the hermit crab had molted and not died. We learned that the crabs actually eat their exoskeletons as they are a good source of calcium. So, in the end, all is well with all three hermit crabs! The only mystery is that we cannot find the shell that the hermit crab used to live in.

Here is a photo of what was left of the exoskeleton - it can take up to 3 months for a hermit crab to molt. Because they are nocturnal, it can be hard to see the signs of molting. 


Here is a video of the hermit crab in his new shell! (with a little bit of commentary!)



We also watched this video that shows how a hermit crab can move from one shell to another. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 5-8

December 11-15

First Days